Congratulations to all the By Your Side Dance Studio Students who competed at one of the largest dance competitions in the nation, the Emerald Ball, winning almost all first places and a few second places. Out of 62 ballroom dancing entries we had an incredible 56 first places and 6 second places!!!
Visit our Facebook page to see all the photos of our amazing ballroom dancers!
Dancing in a Ballroom Dance Competition
Ballroom dancing has become increasingly popular in recent years with shows like Dancing With The Stars”. Competitive ballroom dancing often gives ballroom dancers the incentive move forward and accomplish their ballroom dancing goals while showcasing their skills and competing with their peers.
A ballroom dance competition is divided into four main categories:
American Rhythm – Swing, Cha-Cha, Rumba, Bolero, Mambo
American Smooth – Waltz, Foxtrot, Tango, Viennese Waltz
International Latin – Jive, Cha-Cha, Rumba, Samba, Paso Doble
International Standard – Waltz, Foxtrot, Tango, Quickstep, Viennese Waltz
The competition is also divided into sections by the ballroom dancer’s level of experience.
In a ballroom dance competition it’s all about selling the character of the dance.
The most exciting aspect about entering a ballroom dance competition is that you are “on stage” from the second you set foot on the dance floor to the second you get off. That includes walking on, waiting for the music, dancing, and walking off the floor.
Here are a few of the characteristics and expressions you should be showing when dancing in a ballroom dance competition:
– Smile! This is supposed to be fun, remember? So look like you are enjoying yourself in all dances (except maybe in the rumba and tango where “fun” is not appropriate.)
– Big, big smiles. Look like you’re having the most fun you have ever had in your entire life.
– Sensual & Flirtatious. Partners should be teasing each other. Game of now you have me, now you don’t. (works for the Samba as well)
– Steamy and romantic. Gaze deep into each other’s eyes. Show the lust!
Waltz & Viennese Waltz
– Elegant and graceful. Float across the floor angelically.
– Smile and look pleased. Get a nice, relaxed, noproblem look about yourself and feel the music. Look like you are taking a leisurely Sunday stroll in the park.
– Serious and dramatic. You’re tough, and you dare anyone in the place to say otherwise. Leaders, you partner is a prize trophy, show her off.
Take your ballroom dancing to the next level
Contact Deborah at 310-391-0400 if you are interested in participating in a ballroom dance competition and learning the ballroom dance techniques that will take your ballroom dancing to the next level.